You will need:
-A digital camera that is capable of taking long-exposure pictures (10 seconds or more)
-An infrared converter lens (this can be purchased online or through some specialty camera stores)
-A tripod to keep the camera still during long exposures
-Optional: A filter to block out visible light (this helps produce cleaner images and prevents damage to the camera sensor)
1. Mount the infrared converter lens onto the front of the digital camera. If your camera has a filter thread on the front, you can screw the converter lens directly onto it. Otherwise, you will need to use some sort of adapter to attach the lens to the camera.
2. Set up the tripod and position the camera so that it is pointing at the scene or object you want to photograph.
3. Put the camera into manual mode and set the exposure time to the longest possible setting. 10 seconds is usually a good starting point.
4. If you are using a filter, place it over the front of the lens now.
5. Take a test picture and check the results. If the image is too bright or too dark, adjust the exposure time accordingly and take another picture. Repeat this step until you are happy with the results.
6. Once you have found an exposure time that works well, you can experiment with shorter exposures to see if they give you better results. Shorter exposures will result in less blur, but they will also be more likely to produce noisy images.
7. When you are finished taking pictures, be sure to remove the filter (if you are using one) and the infrared converter lens from the camera. Store them in a safe place so that they will not get damaged.
Q: Will all digital cameras work for this?
A: No, unfortunately not all digital cameras will work for this. The camera needs to be able to take long exposure pictures (10 seconds or more) in order for the infrared conversion to work properly.
Q: Do I need an infrared converter lens?
A: Yes, you will need an infrared converter lens in order to see thermal images. These can be purchased online or through some specialty camera stores.
Q: What is the best type of filter to use?
A: A filter that blocks out visible light is the best type of filter to use. This helps produce cleaner images and prevents damage to the camera sensor.